Supporting Each & Every Student
Understanding what an Inclusive School Community is
In Alberta, inclusion is about ensuring that each student belongs and receives a quality education, no matter their ability, disability, language, cultural background, gender or age.
“At the core of inclusion is the concept of making differences ordinary so that all students have a place, feel valued and welcomed, and are equipped for success.”
(Setting the Direction – Action on Inclusion, 2010)
Educational practices that are flexible and responsive to the strengths and needs of individual students create inclusive learning experiences that ensure all students are successful.
Inclusive school environments
- Take responsibility for all students
- MHSD 76 is committed to meeting the needs of all students, regardless of their abilities, life circumstances or challenges
- Emphasize high expectations for all students
- All students receive the support they require to be successful
- Take a strength-based approach towards meeting the needs of all students
- Programming and instruction focuses on what students can do and capitalizes on students’ interests and background knowledge
- Are characterized by collaboration, caring and respect
- Staff, students and community partners work together to create a welcoming environment
MHSD 76 supports each and every student